Attend or speak at a council meeting

All Full Council and Committee meetings are open to the public and are held at Morecambe Town Hall, Marine Road East, Morecambe, LA4 5AF.  

If you plan to attend and have any special requirements (such as wheelchair access) which may require adjustments to be made, please contact the Council prior to the meeting. 

Please note that any electors wishing to address the Council during a meeting regarding items on the agenda must submit representations to the Council by 10am on the day of the meeting. Permission to speak at the meeting is at the discretion of the Chairman and subject to Standing Orders. 

The Council may not be able to answer questions at a meeting if the matter relates to a topic that the Council has not considered or resolved. If the matter is considered outside the remit of Morecambe Town Council, residents will be referred to Lancaster City Council or the appropriate body. 

Change the law

Want to submit a proposal to be considered by central government?

Under the Sustainable Communities Act 2007 local communities and councils can ask central government to take some action if they believe it will promote the sustainability of local communities.

Actions can include:

  • a change in legislation
  • a transfer of responsibilities from one public body to another
  • a new national policy
  • a change or strengthening of policy

If you would like us to consider proposals to improve life in Morecambe and submit them on your behalf you can send your ideas to us using our website contact form.

Individuals, groups and councils can also submit ideas to central government at any time through the Barrier Busting website.

Become a councillor

Local elections take place for seats on Morecambe Town Council every four years. The next local election for Morecambe Town Council will take place in 2027.

Occasionally, in accordance with Section 87 (2) of the Local Government Act 1972, a casual vacancy may arise on Morecambe Town Council owing to the resignation or disqualification of a member. In such circumstances, on receipt of a notice signed by ten electors of the Parish, requesting that the vacancy be filled by an election, the Returning Officer of Lancaster City Council will fix a date on which an election will be held. If an election is not requested within fourteen working days of a vacancy being declared, Morecambe Town Council will have the opportunity to fill the vacancy by co-option.

Work for the Council

Morecambe Town Council employs a small team of dedicated officers to facilitate its administration and manage its service delivery. Browse existing vacancies on our vacancies page.


Morecambe Town Council on occasion require volunteers to assist with community projects and any resident looking to play an active role in the community can register an interest in volunteering by getting in touch using our contact form.

Nominate an asset of community value

Under the Localism Act 2011 (Part 5, Chapter 3, Para 87), voluntary and community organisations can nominate an asset to be included on a list of ‘assets of community value’ held by Lancaster City Council.

Assets of community value are buildings or facilities that add to the wellbeing or interests (cultural, historical, leisure or sporting) of the local community, and are likely to continue to do so in the future. There are some exceptions, such as residential housing.

To nominate an asset of community value a parish/town council, community group or voluntary group will need to complete an Assets of Community Value Nomination Form and email it to

A full list of registered assets held by Lancaster City Council can be found here. If a nominated asset is added to the list held by Lancaster City Council and it comes up for sale, the community group that nominated it is given a fair opportunity to place a bid to buy it. This helps communities to keep the assets in public use.

Register a right of way

If you know of a path or way that has been used for twenty years or more, and it is not recorded as a public right of way, you may apply to Lancaster City Council to have it recorded if it meets the requirements of statutory dedication has occurred is set out in section 31 of the Highways Act 1980.

Respond to a planning application

Any individual has the right to comment on planning applications. 

Please use the following resources to learn about the planning process and how to become involved as an individual.