Morecambe Neighbourhood Plan Consultation (28th May to 4th July, 2016)
Why are we doing this consultation?
Morecambe Town Council has started working on a Neighbourhood Plan for our town. This is an exciting opportunity for you to help shape the future of our town and realise our aspiration to make Morecambe a great place to live, work and visit. To develop a sustainable legacy for Morecambe, we now need your views and opinions, support, and involvement.
What is a Neighbourhood Plan?
A Neighbourhood Plan allows a local community to influence the planning of the area in which they live and work. When adopted, the Neighbourhood Plan becomes part of the policies for the Lancaster District. This means, Lancaster City Council will have to have regard to it when making planning decisions.
We can use the plan to:
- Develop a shared vision for our town.
- Allocate land for different uses, such as housing, shops, employment, and community uses.
- Identify and protect important local green spaces.
- Influence what new buildings should look like.
More specifically, the type of issues could include things like:
- Protecting the heritage of Morecambe and its buildings.
- Improved management of houses in multiple occupation.
- Local design issues.
- Protection and enhancement of Morecambe’s green space.
- Improved management of Morecambe’s empty properties to enhance their appearance and encourage bringing them back into appropriate forms of use.
- Proposals for the development and use of key sites in the town.
Note that while it cannot stop development, the plan would allows us to decide where we new development should be built and what those developments should look like.
What is happening now?
Between 28th May to 4th July, we are consulting all residents and businesses within the town. In May, a consultation flyer was delivered to all households. We also run a series of consultation events over the next few weeks to meet and talk with as many people as possible.
How can I respond?
Your help is essential to ensure that we get the right plan for our town.
We seek your views what the Neighbourhood Plan should deal with. The town boundary has been designated as a ‘Neighbourhood Area’ (see Morecambe Neighbourhood Area Map). Initial questions to consider:
- To make our planning process easier, what measures would you like to see introduced?
- What land or which problem sites in the town would you like to see tidied up?
- Which buildings within Morecambe would you like to keep and protect?
Come to one of the public events, or leave us your feedback to these questions via the following channels:
|Share ideas on a map:||Annotate a map of Morecambe with your ideas|
|Send an E-mail:||E-mail email@example.com|
|Send a letter:||Post to Morecambe Town Council, Town Hall, Marine Road, Morecambe, LA4 5AF with reference “Neighbourhood plan”|